Academic Advising

Registration PIN

All students are required to enter a PIN in order to access registration. The registration PIN is available for graduate students via the MyIIT portal.

Graduate Academic Advising Session (Mandatory)

Graduate students are required to complete a mandatory advising session with their graduate academic adviser. Advisers are required to ensure that their student advisees understand the program requirements and are expected to follow their program adviser's advice. 

Co-terminal students are required to meet with the academic adviser to plan co-terminal shared and non-shared graduate courses. A Graduate Co-terminal (GC) Hold is placed on the student's registration after the initial semester of co-terminal enrollment, until the required eForm is submitted with the declaration of courses. After the eForm is fully approved by the adviser, academic unit, and Academic Affairs, the hold will be lifted.

For more information on advising, please refer to individual academic unit websites.

Graduate Degree Works

Graduate student progress toward degree requirements can be reviewed in Graduate Degree Works, via the MyIIT portal ( 

eForms for Degree Works facilitates the submission, review, and approval of requests to make changes to a degree program that is in-progress. Students initiate a request by selecting the eForms tab in Graduate Degree Works

When to Submit a New Application

A new admission is required and should be filed with the Office of Graduate Admission ( when the student seeks:

  • A change to any degree program from a different academic unit
  • A change to any co-terminal degree program pairing (even within the same academic unit)
  • Admission to a Master of Science (M.S.) when currently admitted to any other master’s program within the same academic unit
  • Admission to any Ph.D. program when currently admitted to any master’s program

International Advising

Students with any immigration-related questions should consult the Office of Global Services ( for advice to ensure current policies and procedures are considered. Academic advisers cannot provide immigration advice.

Financial Aid Advising

Students with any financial aid-related question should consult the Office of Financial Aid ( for advice to ensure current policies and procedures relevant to the student’s specific inquiry are considered. Academic advisers cannot provide financial aid advice.

English Language Deficiencies, Assessment, Courses, and Waivers

English competency requirements are published in the Graduate Catalog in the Graduate Admission sectionQuestions regarding the assessment process should be referred to English Language Services (

English waivers can only be issued by English Language Services. Program substitutions are approved by advisers and Academic Affairs. Students who defer an ELS course after receiving approval from Academic Affairs must complete the course in the next available semester.